Penobscot Community Health Care
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMH-NP)(Full or Part Time)
at Penobscot Community Health Care
Provides psychiatric services for PCHC under the supervision of the Chief Psychiatric Officer or designee.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Establishes therapeutic relationships in order to facilitate the patient’s progress with treatment goals.
2. Provides psychiatric evaluation, determines diagnoses and prescribes appropriate treatment as indicated
for a variety of psychiatric conditions, and obtains consultation from collaborating physician when
3. Develops and maintains psychotherapy skills to meet the needs of a diverse population.
4. Keeps informed about current research and knowledge and applies it to patient care.
5. Utilizes the DSM in making diagnostic formulations.
6. Integrates bi-psychosocial information into single, shared electronic medical record.
7. Performs and documents psychiatric evaluations and medication follow-up.
8. Enters progress notes into the medical record.
9. Reviews laboratory tests, reporting abnormal results to the appropriate provider.
10. Provides direct individual, family and group therapy.
11. Provides consultation to PCHC providers.
12. Keeps accurate time record of activities.
13. Provides on-call services, as required.
14. Carries out responsibilities in a highly professional manner and in accordance with professional and
business ethical standards.
15. Demonstrates highly effective interpersonal communication and conflict management skills.
16. Ensures that all members of PCHC staff and administration have access to all appropriate information.
17. Facilitates a positive, open, supportive work environment.
18. Demonstrates flexibility, creativity and adaptability in job performance.
19. Returns patient phone calls. Based upon the assessment of the patient’s needs, providers
recommendations for safety, support and follow-up.
20. Maintains clinical records and procedures which are in compliance with State licensing requirements and
21. Is current with and follows agency, program, organization and professional standards of conduct,
professionalism and quality of service.
22. Complies with infection control, occupational and health standards and all rules, regulations and
operating plans issued by PCHC, the Occupational and Safety Health Act and JCAHO.
23. Understands Continuous Quality Improvement principles and incorporates them into daily work.
24. Accepts supervision and guidance. Is flexible when asked to perform other duties.
25. Maintains strict confidentiality regarding all client and agency information according to policy. A
professional relationship with all staff, clients and volunteers is maintained at all times.
26. Will have up-to-date training and certification in Basic Life Support.
27. Interacts harmoniously and effectively with others, focusing upon the attainment of organizational goals
and objectives through a commitment to teamwork.
28. Conforms to acceptable attendance and punctuality standards as expressed in the Employee Handbook.
29. Complies with all safety rules and protocols. Reports all accidents, regardless of severity, immediately to
supervisor and completes incident/injury report and investigation form, which will be forwarded to
Human Resources within 24 hours of incident.
30. Abides by the organizations compliance program and its requirements.
31. Current on all required training for current year.
32. Performs all other duties, as assigned by supervisor.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
1. Visual/hearing ability sufficient to comprehend written/verbal communication.
2. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
3. Ability to effectively manage situations of prolonged stress.
4. Maintains licensing and certification requirements of an APRN.
5. Knowledge of the ANCC Standards for Advanced Practice Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing.
6. Balance independent clinical decision making with appropriate consultation from CPO and peers.
7. Ability to work as a member of a team of individuals working toward a common goal.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
· Frequent exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, medicinal preparations and other
conditions common to a medical practice setting.
· Normal office environment.
· Involves frequent contact with staff, patients and the public.
· Work may be stressful at times. Contact may involve dealing with people who are angry or upset.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Current Advanced Practice Registered Nurse License in the State of Maine.
· Certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse
· Minimum of 2 years experience as Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) preferred.
· Will have up-to-date training and certification in Healthcare Provider Basic Life Support issued by
American Heart Association. American Red Cross or American Health & Safety Institute. Must obtain
within 3 months if not current at hire.
· Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record for insurance purposes.