Mercy Health System of Maine
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Scheduler - Cancer Care Medical Oncology
at Mercy Health System of Maine
Eastern Maine Medical Center
Cancer Care Medical Oncology
8:30am to 5:00pm
~~This job represents multiple openings~~
JOB SUMMARY: The Scheduler is an integral part of care delivery team in all service areas at the Lafayette Family Cancer Center. The role supports patient/provider/customer service in scheduling all aspects of care - new patients, outgoing referrals, visits, lab and imaging services, and treatment. Scheduling activity requires order review, assurance that all required elements are present and executed per provider direction. The scheduling role is pivotal in assuring timely best quality care delivery. The Scheduler is responsible for timely, accurate and efficient processing of incoming referral requests, provider orders and patient/customer communication. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: managing incoming referral requests; processing provider orders - includes order review, clarification, assurance that what is ordered is sufficient to patient care needs/next step in scheduling; obtaining any necessary insurance and/or medical necessity verification and/or authorization ahead of booking patient appointment/service; scheduling patients through use of scheduling system; maximizing patient convenience through coordinated scheduling whenever possible. Maintains respectful communication with patients/providers/customers/co-workers while meeting service delivery expectations. May be asked to cover reception service.
DUTIES TO INCLUDE, BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Manage incoming telephone lines
- Schedule new patient and follow up appointments for multiple providers
- Schedules tests, procedures, referral appointments with scheduling center
- Communicates with patients regarding appointments and instructions for procedures and tests
- Document information in Patient's chart.
- Direct patient contact at check in and check out
- Process insurance prior authorization and document
- Medical terminology course or knowledge of medical terminology through work experience
- 2 years of clinical administrative work experience or graduate of a medical technology program or 18 months experience in Cancer Care in an alternate role
- 1-2 years' experience with personal computers and frontline customer service
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: Graduate/equivalent of a 2 year program in a medical science field
OTHER SKILLS PREFERRED: Familiarity with computer based scheduling system preferred
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Sedentary work (65% of day) requiring good manual dexterity to permit data entry; visual acuity to permit use of computer monitor, review of written orders. Hearing acuity sufficient to communicate with physicians, staff, and patients/family in person or via telephone (use of headphone for communication is routine). Requires repetitive motions of wrists, hands and fingers. Must present in a professional manner.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: Daily direct and phone contact with patients / families / physicians / staff. Employees subject to inside environmental conditions. Clean, well-lit with central heat. Work is in close proximity with others. Some noise level from office machines (printers, typewriters, and telephones).