Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Manager, Engineering
at Blackhawk Network
- Position Type
About Blackhawk Network:
Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. is a global financial technology company and a leader in connecting brands and people through branded value solutions. Blackhawk platforms and solutions enable the management of stored value products, promotions and rewards programs in retail, ecommerce, financial services and mobile wallets. Blackhawk’s Hawk Commerce division offers technology solutions to businesses and direct to consumers. The Hawk Incentives division offers enterprise, SMB and reseller partners an array of platforms and branded value products to incent and reward consumers, employees and sales channels. Headquartered in Pleasanton, Calif., Blackhawk operates in 26 countries. For more information, please visit blackhawknetwork.com, cashstar.com, hawkcommerce.com, hawkincentives.com or our product websites GiftCards.com, giftcardmall.com, GiftCardLab.com and OmniCard.com.
CashStar (owned by Blackhawk Network) is changing the world of gifting by making it possible
to send a personalized eGift Card from any device, anywhere, anytime, with the best experience
possible. More than 400 brands partner with us including Uber, Starbucks, Nordstrom, Apple,
Delta, Best Buy, and The Home Depot. That makes CashStar the preferred digital gifting and
incentives partner for retailers nationwide
The professionals we hire thrive on an entrepreneurial spirit and an earnest desire to change the way the world works. CashStar employees are passionate about emerging tech, and we bring that passion to work every day. We embrace change, foster ambition and individual success, and recognize excellence. We believe in our products, and we L.O.V.E. our culture.
Why work with us?
- We’re a fun-loving, passionate, and highly collaborative team
- We believe in moving quickly, failing fast, and adapting to change
- We’re committed to achieving technical excellence in everything we do
- We value teamwork, learning from failure, and innovation
Why we’d want to work with you:
- You are passionate about creating world-class software
- You have experience working as part of agile teams and are familiar with Scrum and Kanban
- You think positively, focus on solutions, and find opportunities instead of problems
- You have superb technical skills, but you’re always striving to improve
- You are willing to work quickly, get in the weeds, and not rest until the job is done
As a Senior Manager of Engineering, you are expected to provide mentorship and leadership to a tree of 10-25 Software Engineers and Engineering Managers. You will be a part of a hands-on Engineering Management team, performing technology deep dives and facilitating/managing high and low level design processes and reviews. You will also be expected to participate in code reviews, scheduling, people management, reporting, and hiring. You will collaborate with the senior engineering management team, product management and other cross-functional management to ensure high quality integrated software solutions in a fast-paced, Agile environment.
Lead a High Performing Team
- Attract and retain talented engineers while cultivating an Agile, high performance software development organization
- Inspire and empower team members to collaborate and continually improve their skills and practices
- Help drive software development efforts from architecture to release
Partner Closely with Stakeholders
- Build a strong, collaborative partnership with stakeholders to deliver software that achieves business objectives
- Encourage transparency with each team's release plans, progress and impediments
- Contribute ideas and recommendations to the product roadmap based on awareness of relevant industry trends
Deliver Great Software
- Coach and mentor software engineers, including how to participate in our Agile practices
- Help hone our overall Agile practices to reduce the time it takes to deliver increments of software, including improving continuous integration and delivery
- Ensure the team is able to sustain the quality of their software by using practices like test-driven development, unit testing, pair programming and code reviews
As a technology leader within CashStar, you will have the opportunity to work across the organization helping to align on software development technology vision. You will be expected to maintain awareness of changes in techniques, tools and frameworks and help influence their usage in a pragmatic way to improve the team's productivity.
- 7+ years of hands-on software development experience
- 3+ years of management experience leading and mentoring software engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science desired or equivalent work experience required; Master's Degree in Computer Science a plus
- Expertise using agile methodologies (e.g. Scrum) to plan and deliver increments of functionality
- Expertise coaching teams to adopt eXtreme Programming (XP) practices such as TDD, unit testing, and pair programming
- Proficiency and knowledge of incident and problem management, including timely problem identification, successful resolution and root cause analysis
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to clearly communicate information technology concepts in non-technology terms
- Must be available to work the occasional weekend, handle 24/7 and be a part of our incident management on-call rotation